This should speak to both you as a Buyer or Seller and the real estate Agents out there.
From time to time I search out feedback from the industry, like NAR (National Association of REALTORS®), CREA (The Canadian Real Estate Association), focus groups, consumer advocates and the like, asking what people are looking for in a REALTOR®, why they should use a REALTOR®. I also ask our REALTORS® what they do on a regular basis to ensure they continue to serve their clients successfully. What is very interesting to me is how similar the lists are.
The following information is offered through CREA – the Canadian Real Estate Association.
Does your REALTOR® Have the answers to these in their personal brochure or profile?
Here are 10 smart questions to ask. But remember, this is just a starting point. Your REALTOR® should be willing to answer any questions you have. After all, that's why you hire the pros.
1. How long have you been in the business?
2. What is your average list-to-sales-price ratio?
3. How will your marketing plan meet my needs?
4. Will you provide references?
5. What separates you from your competition?
6. May I review documents that I will be asked to sign?
7. Can you help me find other professionals?
8. How much do you charge?
9. What if I'm unhappy with the service?
10. What haven't I asked you that I need to know?
Why should I hire a REALTOR®?
You trust a REALTOR® with your most valuable possession, your home. REALTORS® take this responsibility very seriously. Here's what they promise you:
1. Your REALTOR® is a trained professional
REALTORS® take extensive pre-licensing courses in order to obtain credentials for practicing in real estate.
2. Your REALTOR® is continuously trained
REALTORS® keep pace with the times by taking continuing education courses to upgrade their knowledge on a broad range of real estate related issues in order to be able to continue to provide consumers with current advice.
3. Your REALTOR® does everything by the book
A REALTOR® must be registered under provincial laws that govern exactly how real estate can and cannot be traded. These regulations are your legal guarantee of professional behavior.
4. Your REALTOR® is an ethical businessperson
REALTORS® must adhere to the extensive Code of Ethics of the Canadian Real Estate Association. Several provinces have additional codes of ethics governing real estate professionals. Your interests must always be put first.
5. Opportunity for recourse
Should you have concerns about the professional behavior of a REALTOR®, provincial regulators and your local real estate board or association take these matters very seriously and work quickly to resolve any issues.
6. Your REALTOR® has access to a local Board's MLS® System
A Board's MLS® system is the single most powerful tool for buying and selling a home. Your REALTOR® can provide you with exclusive features of the Board's MLS® System, such as immediate notification when new properties are listed. You don't have to wait for it to be posted on a web site.
When the going gets "Tough"...just call me.